How to order Gene and MiniGene™ synthesis:
Single gene entry
- From the Ordering tab, click on the Order button.
- Enter a name for your gene.
- Copy and paste, or enter your desired DNA sequence using the A, C, G, and T bases only
- (Multiple gene entry can be done with the Bulk Input button at the top left of the ordering tool).
- Degenerate (mixed bases) or modified bases are not offered with our synthetic genes products.
- Prior to adding to your order, sequence complexity can be tested using the Test Complexity button—this allows you to make simple changes to the sequence if necessary.
- Click the Add to Order button.
- This will test complexities and screen for potential restriction site problems and provide a warning if any are found.
- Select a vector from the popup window.
- Complete the biohazard information and the order will be placed in the shopping cart for checkout
IDT provides synthetic genes ≤5000 bp in optimized IDT cloning vectors with either ampicillin or kanamycin resistance. In addition, for in vitro transcription applications, pIDTBlue may be selected for genes ≤1500 bp in length. Information about these vectors is available on the Vectors tab.
After submitting your order, the gene request will be reviewed for the following characteristics which may interfere with synthesis, assembly, or sequencing performance. Potential issues include:
- Secondary structure: hairpins >10 bases and G/C-rich secondary structure
- Repeats and homo-polymeric runs: long repeats, >10 bases for G/C, or >30 bases for A/T
- Overall GC Content >65% and regional GC content <25%
- Restriction site duplications and Dam/Dcm methylation sites that may interfere with digestion by restriction endonuclease
- If the sequence does not pass the screening criteria, you will be contacted by a gene services specialist to determine the best way to proceed.
Multiple gene entry
From the Ordering
tab, click on the Order button and select the Bulk Input
option at the top left of the ordering tool.
Each gene will be screened to identify regulated and other potentially dangerous pathogen sequences and must be accompanied by a hazard disclosure statement from the customer. IDT reserves the right to refuse any order that does not pass this screen.
Codon Optimization tool
IDT offers free software in our SciTools™ Suite
of online tools to help with the design of gene constructs for multiple molecular biology applications. The recently updated Codon Optimization Tool can help with the design of synthetic constructs, including gBlocks® Gene Fragments
to meet your application needs.
With the Codon Optimization Tool you have the ability to optimize a protein coding sequence that is derived from one species for expression in another, you can choose how many results you want to view, and there is the option to manually adjust individual codons within the optimized sequence. Note:
Confirm that the final, optimized sequence is what you require prior to placing your order.The Codon Optimization Tool ranks the least complex sequence as the first result. If your sequence contains repeated motifs or is particularly GC rich, choosing the least complex sequence may improve the manufacturing success of the construct, as well as its use in some downstream applications.
All inserts for Genes and MiniGene Synthesis products are sequence verified on both strands prior to shipping. For genes ≤5000 bp, Sanger sequencing information including chromatograms, a plasmid map, and a FASTA file are available to the customer by logging into their online IDT customer account. In some cases, Sanger sequencing may be substituted with a Illumina® MiSeq® system data.
A sequencing certificate of analysis will be available for genes will be provided genes ≥5001 bp.
- To download your sequence information, log in to your account, click on the Order Menu tab, and click the view all link next to Order History in Your Order Center, on the right-hand side of the page. Locate your order number in the order history and click on the QC link within your order to download the supporting files for your gene.
For genes ≤5000 bp, IDT will provide 4 µg of purified, double-stranded DNA in a circularized plasmid, delivered dried down.
All gene information, including sequence entry and choice of parameters, is confidential